Friday, June 20, 2008

Thing #9 - getting tougher (or not as engaging?)

Which method of finding feeds did you find easiest to use?
-I grabbed The Cool Cat Teacher Blog and used that as a springboard to browse. Maybe because it's summer, (?) but it appears difficult to have a burning topic for which to search the blogs for professional reasons.
However, personal interests are another topic altogether. I like the Lonestartimes (on-line newspaper) because of the political angles. It is created exclusively by bloggers with the same conservative political views I share. I can read the articles, but also click on the blogs and dig further. Using Vicki Davis's advice from Cool Cat - start with someone/thing you already respect and use them as a source from which to branch.
Which Search tool was the easiest for you?
-I guess I'm just a Google-r, it's my favorite. I feel more at ease with the Google Blog Search than any of the others. The format is familiar and I'm comfortable finding the 'right vocab' to get search results.
-The Topix and Technorati each have a feature that makes them okay. Topix has an easy to read layout on the main tab. Technorati has the topic directory that saves a little bit of time and keeps me on-task. Reminder... I'm ADD and I get lost in my searches, birdwalking off to other areas.
Which was more confusing?
-The Edublog site was a mess (at least for me) - couldn't find anything on the topic I tried (I can't believe nobody is blogging on 'schools within schools' and 'fine arts integration'. Oh well, I'm over it.)
What kind of useful feeds did you find in your travels? Or what kind of unusual ones did you find?
At this point, everything is unusual to me. And everything (well, almost) is interesting.
What other tools or ways did you find to locate newsfeeds?
- I'll use the online 'newspaper' (Lonestartimes) to connect to blogs and AP and API backed news stories.

No comments: