Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing #15 - Iceberg ahead

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

Sobering reading. Not news. Just a validation. Printed text libraries as they exist today will one day be featured as oddities on the history channel. Barnes & Noble and 1/2 Price Books may not exist at all in 25 years. As the paper made today contains acids which slowly erodes the paper, books we read today have no opportunity to become antiques. The cost of maintaining the printed shelves balanced against the cost to stay abreast of the ever-expanding technological realm leaves little or no room for the printed inventory. Will children two generations from now know what it feels like to curl up beside their parents with a good read-aloud picture book? What will happen to the bookmark industry? What about Itty Bitty Book Lights? Will the Holy Bible still be available as a printed text? Or will people carry a small piece of technology from which to read the testaments? I'm just not sure I can get snuggly with my laptop.

2 comments:

Redsie1 said...

On the nightly news (July 8th), there was a story concerning the demise and downsizing of newspapers across America. Hopefully many "good" papers will continue to publish, but it is affecting all sizes. I love my coffee and paper in the morning. I don't know if this is world wide, but it is part of the "print erosion."
Redsie1

LauraAnn said...

My sister (frogntoad) and I were having this same conversation, both on our blogs and in person too!

She is a regular library patron but was surprised to see an acquaintance there, as no one goes to the library anymore. It does seem that B&N has become the new library, doesn't it?

I wonder if the economy goes south and people are forced to be more selective in their spending, will they stop buying books and return to the 'brary?

I can't believe that books will lose their "form" to the internet. Reading is such a personal and emotional experience, and you are soooo right: you can't curl up with a good computer on a rainy day, or on the beach, or while waiting in the doctor's office...

Thanks for letting me chime in...