Friday, July 25, 2008

Thing #23 - We raise the final curtain, well not quite...

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more


Before I even begin this entry, I've got to actually go back and review our activities. It seemed that each time I learned something totally new and cool that 'just couldn't be topped', well, it was topped by something else that came down the pipeline. This statement in itself is indicative of the myriad of Things we learned and how easy is it to focus on what is currently on your plate and forget what else we sampled. One of my greatest senses of accomplishment for the experience is that I was able to figure out most of the Things by myself. Sometimes, more than a few errors with the trials, but mission accomplished in the end.
1. What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?

Thank goodness, you're not asking us to singularize a favorite because it has got to be plural here. For specific classroom application favorites, I think the variety of options at Big Huge Labs and Image Chef will appeal greatly to elementary students. Some options are quick and immediately provide gratification (keeping the kids engaged), others may look deceptively simple (magazine covers), but there are many teachable aspects hidden in a seemingly inoccuous activity. One of my most favorite discoveries was elementary classroom blogs, something of which I was not even aware. Seeing videos of, and reading their blog was great. Implementation and maintenance isn't such a daunting task.
Sidebar discovery...I was able to determine the html coding to fix my widget (gadget?) so my wonderful 'popsicle bio' appeared in full upon the screen. How cool is that?
2. How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
I did some fairly obvious things - set goals and maintained discipline to finish the task (and here I am!). It would be so easy to start and without the regimen of a sitting in a tech lab, slowly fade away from the tasks and not finish. This program completely opened my eyes about web technology. Prior to starting the course, I felt a bit techno-superior to many of my fellow faculty members, fashioning myself as a bit of a 'techie on the spot' at times. Now, I'm a bit humbled and realize that even with the empowerment of the 23 Things, that I've got a long way to go. I will use this as a springboard for further 'tech-xploration', but will find specific areas to focus and become a bit more proficient. Better to master one concept that be fairly/barely proficient in many?
3. Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
1. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of 'elementary student' applications. When I signed-up, I really expected many of the benefits to be for me, the teacher, and then middle and high school levels. Not so. Podcasts really intrigue me, especially the way the Common Craft does their podcasts - simple presentations with clarity. How easy would that be for elementary kids to make in the classroom?! So many curricular options....
2. I was able to decipher some of the html coding to take care of small issues on my blog layout. Neat!
4. What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
If the program were segmented into three separate sessions and designed to focus more specifically on the elementary level applications, middle and high school apps, and library needs. It could be a great opportunity for participants to refine skills in particular areas (already learned on 23 Things) and to have a common platform for an idea sharing forum.
One issue that was fairly pervasive for me was file types. It would be nice to have simple clarification on all the varied file types (wmv, ram, mp3, mpg, etc.) maybe a nice Common Craft inspired vidcast?
5. If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you choose to participate?
Most likely, yes. Staff development on my couch, at my own pace, on my hours is FANtastic!
6. How would you describe your learning experience in ONE WORD or in ONE SENTENCE, so we could use your words to promote 23 Things learning activities?
one word - Incredible
one sentence - 23 Things opened techno-doors that I never knew existed, but which are totally applicable in the elementary classroom.
7. Now go and comment on some of the other Players' blogs.
In doing this activity, randomly working through the current players listing, it is disheartening to see how many folks probably won't finish. If you're on Thing #8 at the end of July, and you haven't worked on Things since June, you're pretty much out of it. On the other hand, the folks who did finish, have very different viewpoints on the application of these concepts. Isn't it great that we have such a very diverse teaching community?

No comments: