Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing #19 - Proof that Computer Geeks are alive and well!

Good Gravy! (That one's for Courtney)
There are 500 more things for Web 2.0! These people need to get a life!
Here are some of my discoveries...
Docstoc - browsed and browsed. Found only one thing of interest, a bizarre manuscript for a book on mind-control and hypnosis. Take my word, I didn't find it (or anything on the site - including the 'education' section, which I found to be quite lacking) worthy to download. Bizarre.
ColorBlender was kinda' cool. I loved the pre-made color palette page and the opportunity to blend custom colors (which supposedly can then be taken to the paint store (albeit in formula format) for reproduction). Embedded within that site are many links to remodeling and home decorating, which I am personally interested in attempting.
Lulu - with the 'publishing' aspect and a bit of a cash infusion, it would be awesome to create a classroom book. Opportunities are boundless (pun intended).
Mango Languages and SpanishPod - both offer introductory lessons but then require subscriptions. Worth it?
Wufoo - Take it? Leave it? Leave it.
Craig's List - have used it for school - getting donations for our elementary science classrooms. It's a great site, just don't use it when you're up against a deadline.
DonorsChoose - first learned about this last spring and thought it was too good to be true. What's the catch? There doesn't seem to be any. Well, of course, except that you may not get what you ask for. I think the key is to write a really awesome request.
Campus Reader - sounded interesting, but it was on vacation! (?) Wonder where it went? Hopefully someplace really fun.
Visual Complexity - too complex.
Okay, I'm not finding much (with my totally random search) of the chart of award winners. It actually seems that the Library 2 Play has highlighted the most applicable tools for us at schools. Sure, My Genealogy might be fun, but in elementary and considering the confidentiality issues... Looking at the chart of award winners, I find that I'm actually disappointed with my findings for school applications. Maybe Campus Reader is 'the one'. I'll try again when they get back in town.

No comments: